THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Samarra

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States

Monday, November 19, 2007

Late Original Commentary

I try really hard to not read the news articles. As silly as that sounds, it's something that i have to do. Although lately for this class I am having to read them. The more and more i read, the more i get angry about what reporters and journalists are reporting as the truth. I read stories of local iraqi's and American Soldiers who have died in "roadside bombs", military operations gone wrong, random killings. Honestly, It makes me sick. Mainly because who are these journalists? Have they been there? Did they see it happen? Or are they reading about a story, that was told from someone who had a cousin who was near where it happened? I think what im trying to say here is that stuff happens. Sometimes bad stuff happens. But we are fighting a war people, and if you think that our war is going to be casualty-less (if thats even a word), you are quite honestly horribly mistaken. I read an article recently that had a picture showing President Bush embracing a KIA soldiers mother. The article was shining a negative light on President Bush. Saying that he hasnt done enough for the families of soldiers that were killed in action. What do we want him to do? Call every single family member and express his deepest sorrows? I mean come on people! Be Realistic. He didnt know your family member, he didnt care. I'm sure there is a part of him that feels guilty when a soldier dies, but honestly that is their job. It's what they signed up to do. Everyday when i woke up in Iraq i knew it was possible that it would be my last, but it's what i signed up for. Please! Dont get me wrong. I dont support Bush, but i dont hate him either. He did what he thought necesarry to fight this "war on Terror". Unfortunately i had to go to Iraq because of his decision. But i will tell you this, that deployment made me grow up in a way that nothing else ever could have or will. Americans think that being deployed is all bad. I'm here to tell you it's not. There is a lot of stuff going on over there other than killing. A lot of good is happening over there as well. Every couple weeks, my batallion did a Medical Operation in Samarra. We went out and walked the streets of the city with Medical supplies and gave check-ups to families that wanted them. They were long, hot days, but they were good days. Every Tuesday and Thursday soldiers from the Iraqi battalion that were grouped with would come to our operating base and we would teach them medical skills. It wasnt easy. Sometimes it was frustrating, and annoying. Let me tell you language barriers really suck. :) But the next time those medics brought a casualty to us, and the limb was bandaged correctly, or bleeding was controlled, it made my job easier, and it made me proud to have taught them something that they will be able to use forever. This war isnt going to end anytime soon. We better get used to it, and start seeing some of the good coming out of it. Accept it for what it is. Support your troops in other ways then bashing the president and writing letters to your congressmen. There are websites that deal with care packages for soldiers, pen pals, there are other ways to show you care. Rant ended.

No comments: